Boys JV Baseball
Here’s the information on tryouts.
- Tryouts will run 4 days (February 21st-February 24th)
- Monday February 21st, ALL PLAYERS will tryout at BARCROFT on the turf according to these times.
- All sophomores, juniors, and seniors will be from 1-3pm.
- All 8th graders and 9th graders from 3-5.
- Everyone trying out as a pitcher should be ready to throw to hitters this day.
- Tuesday February 22nd, ALL PLAYERS will tryout at BARCROFT on the turf from 6:30-8:30. We will be doing arm grades, run the 60, hitting grades on this day.
- Wednesday, February 23rd, Sophomores through Seniors will practice at QUINCY from 3:45-5:45, 8th graders and 9th graders from 5:30-7:30. We also have a Barcroft slot later that evening at 8pm but will play it by ear on that one. Pitchers should be ready to throw this day as well.
- Thursday, February 24th, same schedule as the 23rd, again at Quincy, only difference is that we will be meeting with players to let them know making the team that evening after each workout. There is also a chance we may shift to Barcroft that evening at 7:30 depending on field conditions.
- Players should bring any and all gear they have each day and should be prepared for indoor or outdoor practice each day (this would mean being sure to have flat soled shoes with you in case we have to go indoors in the gym). Almost positive we won’t have to worry about going indoors with the Barcroft availability, but just in case, be prepared.
- Along the same lines as being prepared for indoor or outdoor practice, the schedule is definitely subject to change pending the weather. We may have to adjust on the fly some days as well.
- The goal is to get the players as many opportunities to show what they can do. Pitchers will have at least two opportunities to throw during the week live against hitters. Batters should hopefully get around ten at bats as well as several rounds in the cages and on the field. Defensively we will do a good amount of ground balls, fly balls, and arm grades. We will be looking at several skill sets that we think can help the team and assessing them multiple times.
- Be sure your physical and Participation Agreement Form, this can be found at this link: https://www.wlathletics.org/main/otherad/contentID/840736
- Be sure to get this in before tryouts, preferably next week to get yourself cleared with the Activities office.
- Last note on team selection
- I ask that nobody reach out to me regarding tryout results until Monday the 28th. This gives the weekend to let the emotions cool down. I understand the anxiety players have and the feelings that go into making or not making the team, or not making the level you desired. I’ve found that giving the weekend allows for some distance and a more civil discussion about everything that went on during tryouts. I would also encourage your son to approach me, or Coach Bangs in the JV setting, themselves to ask about ways to improve and more feedback as well.
Any questions leading up, reach out to Coach Healy at Kevin.Healy@apsva.us